Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Blondies


No, I'm not talking about my next hair color I decided to try. I'm talking about the yang to the brownie and half sister to the chocolate chip cookie. The blondie; the rich, luscious, bar dessert. However, unlike the brownie, a blondie depends, not on chocolate for it's je ne sais quoi, but rather on brown sugar. And unlike the chocolate chip cookie it's baked in bar form and is often accompanied by a few extra ingredients, such as coconut and nuts.

This was the first time I have made blondies, and when I come to think of it it's the first time I have really tried the blondie. And let me tell you I am in love! These are easy to make and really deliver on flavor. I think my husband would agree as he went through half of the pan in no time. So if you like brownies and chocolate chip cookies, (like who doesn't) give these a whirl.

Tip: to toast coconut place on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan, place in separate bowl and set aside. Also, if you are a nut lover you could add 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped. Add them when you add chips and coconut to batter. I refrained from the nuts.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut, toasted

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9 pan with cooking spray.

Whisk melted butter and brown sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients. Do not over mix. Fold chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and toasted coconut (and nuts, if desired) into batter. Turn batter into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula.

Bake until top is shiny, cracked and feels firm to the touch, 22-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack, try to resist until cool, but you probably won't.

Recipe adapted from "Baking Illustrated."

No comments:

Post a Comment